Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mønster Mean What?

I've just finished knitting the Mønster til djævlehu. Which means "Pattern for Devils". Its the hat pattern from Babyhue og Sokker (which means "Baby Hat and Socks"):



I get a kick out of the fact that mønster means pattern in Norwegian/Danish. I really could not giggle any harder. I mean how many times have we all sworn at a pattern and knew deep down inside that the pattern was sent from hell. Well its because patterns are mønstre. I also love that this baby hat is for devils.

Feel free to laugh nervously as I giggle myself to madness.

The original pattern can be found here and my English translation, that has been rewritten to be worked in the round, can be found here.

Also, some of you might have noticed that the original pattern is listed as being written in Danish, however, Danish and Norwegian are very similar languages. Which is handy because by learning one you are learning most of the other. Scandinavia and the World do a really good job of showing you who speaks what in the Nordic countries in this strip.

1 comment:

  1. The word nerd in me finds that really interesting and wonders if mønster is related to the side of the root that gives us words like deMONSTrate. That'd actually make a lot of sense, since a pattern kind of demonstrates what to do ...

    ReplyDelete