Friday, January 13, 2012

Minerva 1.2

Almost 2 years ago I welcomed my first brand new laptop into my life and named it Minerva 1.0. Subsequently it turned out to just be pile of junk and was determined a lemon so they gave me another one, Minerva 1.2.

Minerva 1.2 and I have been through a total of 1.5 years of school, many moves, ups and downs, but now its time to say good bye to her.

It started with just a small bruise on her monitor, then I noticed that it had a similar flaw to her predecessor (a blind spot on the space key), a small chip after I'd dropped her on the stairs, but now the video card is starting to short out and my extended warranty is about to expire.

This will sadly be the last post I write on her.

I'm completely sure of this as when I brought it in to get taken a look at the young woman at Best Buy giggled after I read the laundry list of what was wrong with Minerva 1.2 and asked how long it would take to get fixed. I was informed that they would just replace it, but it would take 4-6 weeks for them to verify that. She then laughed while looking at my original receipt and said it was a good thing I got the extended warranty. I found none of this funny as she began to pull out the paperwork for us to send it in there and then. I told her I was not ready and I had to back up my information before I sent it in.

Today the external hard drive I ordered (I named him William Defoe because he's stamped with WD on top) arrived and I've been feeling sick ever since.

This little black box is suppose to be the new carrier and guardian of my information and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Actually I can tell you how I feel about it. I don't trust it. I'm so horrible with technology and electronics that its a running joke in my family and when something acts up in the house Ben will always ask what I did (we tend to go through a lot of light bulbs and he blames me).

So now I'm transferring my information onto this little black box that claims to be large enough to hold everything (it claims to be 1.5 terabytes)

Please join me in a moment of silence as we all say good-bye to Minerva 1.2

She was the best of companions

Minerva 1.2 (William is next to my coffee cup)

No comments:

Post a Comment