Sunday, June 3, 2012

To Make

Yesterday was frustrating. The people who organized the memorial were over an hour late and I left 10 minutes before they showed up it seems. So I've invited those that want to remember George to Rosie McCann's on Friday at 8pm for a pint.

I did however make banana nut bread for the memorial and forever more it will be George's Banana Nut Bread:


Sorry for the crappy phone picture



Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups white sugar
2 cups mashed overripe bananas
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup chopped walnuts



Makes 2 loaves

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans.

Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter or margarine and sugar until smooth. Stir in the bananas, eggs, and walnuts until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the pans for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep in the moisture. Ideally, refrigerate the loaves for 2 hours or more before serving.


George would have gotten the joke behind my serving it and may have stuff himself full on it. He is very LSG.

I make things no matter what mood I am in, but when I'm down making things can be the only thing that keeps me together. Yesterday I baked the bread when I could not stop crying and laughed when I nearly forgot the bananas thinking "George would have laughed too."

We knitters are very lucky to have a tool to help us cope with the world around us. We are makers and when we're angry, sad, worried or distressed we have a way to just block it all out by focusing on our craft. When it is all over we can see that we made it through it by the things we made. We eat the food we cooked and feed others with it, we can count the stitches we knitted by the way the gauge is completely off, and we can sometimes give knitted items to the people we worried about.

Yesterday I cried, but I accepted that he was gone and that he would have smiled when I began singing Yesterday while walking on the beach


No comments:

Post a Comment