Thursday, July 5, 2012

Knitters Being Teased

On occasion I have a conversation with my customers and we talk about our lives and why we knit.

Recently one customer was telling me about how her co-workers tease her about how she's an "old lady" for knitting. I'm use to this mentality and rarely do I get riled because I point out that my great grandmother could not knit and that I, at the age of 25, can most likely knit better then their grandmother.

I hold this as my proof:

Girasole by Jared Flood


There are many brilliant knitters that have taken knitting to the next level and their skills and smarts show in their work. They are not old, not grandmothers, and sometimes not even female.

Bridgewater by Jared Flood


Snowdrop Shawl by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
(I'd like to add she knitted this without a plan and just
went with it as it grew)

Pointelle by Cookie A


These are people that have taken knitting from an "old lady's hobby" to an art form. Every time someone says that knitting is a worthless hobby I laugh and pitty them a little. They will never understand that knitted items last longer, wear better, and are warmer because they are made with love and spirit. Otherwise why would someone reknit the fingers on a pair of gloves 4 times to make sure the fit right?

No comments:

Post a Comment