Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Back to Work

Today I'm spending the day in my office creating bags for custom orders and the clubs. I really have missed working on the business full time and I have felt such joy since stepping in here to work.

This morning I got up with Ben and by 5am was in my office with coffee and cutting fabric. I love the feeling of the iron in my hands smoothing out wrinkles, the organic cotton for a custom order is so soft I rubbed it against my face to feel the softness of it, and I cut templates for small notions bags that I had planned on making before starting full time work, but never got around to.

Currently I'm looking for a part time job, because I'm finding it hard to balance my business with full time work and I came to the conclusion that by just finding a better paying job I can easily switch to part time. I must say that it has been a while since I took such a low paying job as the aquarium, but I enjoy working there.

What I enjoy even more though is creating.

I have this itch then needs to be scratched. I want to design a new sweater (or 4), create bags, make the scrap fabric into reusable sandwich wrappers and I have my dyer's chomping at the bit to do dyeing, but I can't figure out when I'll be able to.

As of tomorrow it will have been one year since the first dye day. I remember staying up till 4 in the morning to only get up at 6am to finish preparing for the dye party. Caren and Meghan were my dyers that day and I made pizza for our lunch.


We had so much fun that day and I have learned so much since then. The first batch took forever to rinse because I did not know how much dye a bottle needed, I have learned that vinegar does really work better then citrus acid, that if I want my yarn to be really soft to get the really concentrated conditioner (and it works on my hair too), an that dye days are always fun and should be shared with the best of friends.

I still feel a warmth in my heart when I remember that first day and I got to say that I really do love my at home business and the day that I can successfully just work from home will be a day that will be as important to me as getting married, because then I'll really be married to a job I love and it and I will sink or swim together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment